Dealing with anxiety alone can be really isolating. Even if the people in your life know that you have anxiety and are supportive, it can still be difficult when you can’t talk about it to someone who knows what it’s like.
I think it’s so important to talk to people about your anxiety but also even more important to talk to people who struggle with the same issues. It helps to know that I’m not alone and also helps to have someone there who can encourage me too.
These are my top 5 reasons to talk to other people with anxiety:
- You can learn from them. Talking to different people who use different ways of managing their anxiety can help you find something new to try. I like to see what people are doing to help manage and overcome their anxiety because it encourages me to try things out myself.
- You feel understood. Sometimes it’s hard for people to understand your anxiety if they’ve never had anxiety before, although it is super lovely when they try to and it’s absolutely not their fault if they can’t quite understand it. Having a group of people who understand your symptoms is incredibly comforting.
- You don’t have to feel embarrassed. When everyone is in the dame boat, it feels less embarrassing to talk about. People who have anxiety SO get it.
- You can encourage each other. Having people to talk to who also have anxiety can be great when you’re able to encourage each other. You can set each other goals, or help each other achieve your own goals or even help each other with homework you’ve been set in therapy. Having someone give you a pep talk or tell you that you’re doing well is fab when they understand what you’re going through.
- Your achievements will be acknowledged. Sometimes people who don’t have anxiety themselves might see those day-to-day tasks as mundane, us lot see it as a mountain we’ve climbed!